Frankfurt is known for its rich cultural heritage and vibrant nightlife. The city is also home to some of Europe's most important financial institutions, such as the Frankfurt Stock Exchange and the European Central Bank. It is the fifth-largest city in Germany and one of the largest financial centers in Europe. Located in the central part of the country, it is also a hub for commerce, culture, education, and tourism.
Frankfurt has something for everyone - from historical sites to modern attractions, there's something for everyone to enjoy. Visitors can explore its many museums, galleries and theaters, or take a stroll through its beautiful parks and gardens. There are also plenty of opportunities to experience the local culture through festivals and events throughout the year.
Whether you’re looking for a romantic getaway or an exciting adventure, there’s something here that will make your trip unforgettable. With its bustling nightlife, delicious restaurants, and world-class museums, Frankfurt is sure to exceed your expectations.
Important Things To Remember When Visiting Frankfurt
Visiting Frankfurt is an exciting experience that can be enjoyed by tourists of all ages. With its rich cultural heritage and vibrant nightlife, the city is sure to offer something for everyone. However, in order to make the most of your trip, there are a few important things to remember when visiting this beautiful city.
From understanding the local customs and laws to finding the best places to stay and eat, these tips will help you make your trip as enjoyable as possible.
• Currency: The official currency is the Euro. It's advisable to exchange currency or withdraw cash from ATMs.
• Transportation: Frankfurt has a well-developed public transportation system, including trains, trams, buses, and taxis. It is also possible to rent a bike or walk to explore the city.
• Language: German is the official language, but many people also speak English.
• Weather: This city has a temperate climate, with warm summers and cold winters. Visitors should be prepared for rain at any time of the year.
• Dress Code: It is a business-oriented city, so it is recommended to dress conservatively and appropriately for the occasion.
• Tipping: Tipping is expected in Frankfurt for service-oriented jobs, such as waiters, hairdressers, and taxi drivers. A gratuity of 10-15% is typical.
• Attractions: There are many cultural and historical attractions, including museums, galleries, and theaters. Plan ahead to make the most of your trip.
Best Places to Visit In Frankfurt
With so much to see and do, it can be hard to decide where to go first. But don't worry, we've put together a list of the best places to visit that will make your trip even more special.
From the iconic Römerberg Square and charming Main Riverfront promenade to the majestic Cathedral of St. Bartholomew and picturesque Palmengarten gardens, you're sure to find something that will make your trip unforgettable!
Römerberg Square: Römerberg Square is a historic square located in the heart of Frankfurt. It is known for its historical significance and has been an important part of the city since the Middle Ages. The square is surrounded by many iconic landmarks such as the Römer, a medieval building that served as Frankfurt's City Hall from 1405 to 1798.
Main Riverfront Promenade: The Main Riverfront Promenade is one of the most popular destinations in the city, offering breathtaking views of the river and skyline. Stretching along the banks of the River Main, this promenade offers visitors a chance to take in stunning views while enjoying a leisurely stroll or bike ride.
Cathedral of St. Bartholomew: The Cathedral of St. Bartholomew is one of the most iconic structures in the city. It is a symbol of faith, history and culture that has been standing since the 13th century. The cathedral is known for its beautiful architecture and its rich history, which includes being the site of coronations for many Holy Roman Emperors.
Goethe House: Goethe House is an iconic building. It was the birthplace of German poet and playwright Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, one of the most important figures in German literature. The house is now a museum dedicated to his life and works.
Palmengarten Gardens: The Palmengarten Gardens are an oasis of beauty and tranquility in the heart of the city. Located in the heart of Frankfurt, this 19th-century botanical garden is a haven for nature lovers, offering a wealth of exotic plants and trees from around the world.
Main Tower: This tower, which stands at a height of 200 meters, is one of the most recognizable landmarks in the city. It was built in 2000 and has become an integral part of Frankfurt's skyline.
The Main Tower offers stunning views of the city and beyond, making it a popular destination for tourists and locals alike. It also provides an ideal platform for commercial activities such as conferences and events.
St. Paul's Church: St. Paul's Church is one of the most iconic landmarks in Frankfurt, Germany. It is located right in the heart of the city and has been standing since the 16th century. The church has a long and fascinating history and is an important part of Frankfurt's culture and identity.
It was originally built as a place for worship for Roman Catholics, but over time it has become a symbol of tolerance, peace and unity among different religions.
Frankfurt Zoo: It is home to over 4,000 animals from around the world. Visitors can explore the zoo's many exhibits and get up close and personal with some of their favorite animals. The zoo also has a variety of educational programs for children and adults alike, as well as special events throughout the year.
Museum of Modern Art: The museum opened its doors in 1981 and has since become a major cultural destination in Germany. It houses a wide range of modern art from around the world, including works by Picasso, Van Gogh, Monet and many more. Visitors can explore the museum's permanent collection as well as its temporary exhibitions and special events.
Shopping in Zeil: Located in the heart of the city, this vibrant shopping district offers a variety of stores, restaurants and cafes. Whether you are looking for designer clothes or unique souvenirs, you will find something to suit your taste at Zeil. With its wide range of shops and entertainment options, it is no wonder that Zeil has become one of Frankfurt's most popular attractions.
Why Hop On Hop Off Bus Is Great to Explore Frankfurt?
Exploring Frankfurt with a Hop On Hop Off Bus is an exciting way to discover the city. The bus stops at all of the major sights, such as Römerberg Square, Old Town, Main Tower and many more. Plus, you get to enjoy beautiful views of the city from your seat on board.
From museums and galleries to parks and gardens, you can get a glimpse of many wonderful sights in Frankfurt. The best part is that it's an affordable way to travel around the city without having to worry about transportation costs or getting lost.
• Convenient transportation: The Hop on Hop off bus provides a convenient and easy way to travel around Frankfurt, allowing you to see all the city's main attractions without having to worry about navigating public transport.
• Flexibility: With multiple stops, you have the flexibility to visit the places you want to see at your own pace and get on and off the bus whenever you like.
• Tour guide commentary: Most Hop on Hop off buses come with audio commentary, providing you with interesting and informative information about the city's history, culture, and attractions.
• Time-saving: The bus route takes you to all the major tourist hotspots in Frankfurt, saving you time and effort in finding your way around the city.
• Affordable: Compared to hiring a private tour guide, Hop on Hop off buses offer an affordable and cost-effective way to explore the city and see its sights.
• Scenic route: The bus route takes you through some of the most scenic areas of Frankfurt, giving you a chance to enjoy the city's beauty from a unique perspective.
Best Time To Visit Frankfurt
With so much to see and do, it can be difficult to decide when is the best time to visit Frankfurt. Fortunately, there are many factors to consider when deciding when is the best time for you to visit Frankfurt.
However, some of the most popular times to visit include:
• Summer (June to August): This is the warmest time of the year and is ideal for outdoor activities and visiting the city's parks and gardens.
• Christmas time (December): Frankfurt is famous for its Christmas markets, which are a must-visit during the holiday season.
• Spring (March to May): The weather is mild and the city's gardens and parks come to life with blooming flowers.
• Fall (September to November): The fall foliage is beautiful in Frankfurt and the weather is still mild, making it a great time for outdoor activities and sightseeing.